"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Monday, July 19, 2010

Anatomy of a Snuggle

A serious blogger I follow recently posted something light and a bit sophomoric. She did this to offset the stress she feels relative to recent political developments. It is an election year. That topic, and other heated ones, will be appearing in my blog soon as well. Therefore, in an effort to inject some lightness into the ether ahead of the ideological storm, I offer you today's blog: Anatomy of a Snuggle

I have intended for some time to blog on this subject. Snuggling, or "cuddlosis" as it was not called in ancient Greece, is an age-old method for providing comfort. It enables true bonding of friends and companions, especially after a crisis. Now, I am a writer. That’s how I enter the world, as a fictional Poet Laureate (played by the snuggable Laura Dern) once said on The West Wing. Yet, Blogging for Dummies assures me that words are not enough. To break down the essentials of snuggling I must employ pictures.

I am fortunate to have access to a talented model who is easy on the eyes. As models go she is quite affable. That helps the photo shoot go smoother. She is also petite, which makes it easier to keep her in frame. My budget for this photo shoot was limited, but thankfully this particular model has a thing for...well, for beef sticks. It sounds strange, but it's really quite charming to see how happy they make her.

Enough vamping. I invite you to scroll down and enjoy a short demonstration on safe and effective snuggling.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I'd like you to meet Tiny, a longtime friend and current resident of Kentucky.



Whether you have had a hard day at the office, or been snubbed by several adults who are fawning over grandchildren, snuggling is a tried and true remedy. Yet always keep in mind that the need to snuggle comes from a place of vulnerability. So when approaching a soul in need, ask yourself: 'How do I initiate snuggling when the needy party is mired in jealousy and may rebuff my good intentions?'



A single hand placed softly on the shoulder is a safe and non-threatening way to query if snuggling is desired. CAUTION: Even if your initial hand touch is accepted, do not go right into snuggling. What is needed is a smooth transition--a chance for the grieved party to adjust from sorrow to comfort.



Wait for eye contact. Sometimes the right words just aren't there. Eye contact never fails to indicate if snuggling will be appreciated.



Authentic snuggling includes reciprocation. Anything less is a one-way act of charity at best. If you sense it becoming all about him/her, or even just about you, consider a kind word or a gentle pat on the back. Also, be aware that Tiny’s method of reciprocation has limited, and potentially awkward, applicability for human-to-human snuggling.



Ultimately, by utilizing kind gestures and open communication, you may reach that most prized of snuggling stages--repose. This is when eye-contact, gestures and even talking are no longer needed.

In closing, I thank my snuggling model Tiny. If you enjoyed her work, she can also be seen in last year's holiday opus: Upon Thanksgiving Day!

7 comments:

  1. Papa is coming tomorrow. I'll be sure he reads this one. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet, I should get my own "Tiny"! :) And LOL, I broke my promise last week about lightening up, so I shall strive to reach new heights of sophomoric this week!! Look forward to your views on the "ideological storm" too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a classic read jake !!!!!!! Love ya !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Papa loved this post. Katelyn pulled out her laptop so he could read it. You would have really appreciated his grins as he read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very glad he liked it. Thanks to each of you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging for Dummies is paying off. Looks good around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Cami. Hey, I just finished my re-reading of "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage" last night. There is some really great stuff in Cantos 3 and 4, just like I remembered.

    ReplyDelete