"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Naked Angel and Little Green Men Cause Thoughts of Dead Duck in Ann Arbor, Michigan

Every blogger hopes for the supreme blogging miracle. I mean of course when a chosen topic simultaneously offers both a catchy title and key words guaranteed to boost the blog's search ranking. This is such a blog post. Now here is the bonus. I get to plug new works by two artists I personally know and admire.

Naked Angel Coming Soon

A couple of years back I acted in a play called Blue Surge at the Blackbird Theatre in Ann Arbor. This gave me the opportunity to work with a fine young actress named Cameron Watkins. Since then, Cameron has scored a big role in the feature film Naked Angel. (For my part, I followed up our joint Blackbird debut by purchasing three DVD box sets of Dr. Who.)

Naked Angel stars James Duval, who cult film fans will recognize from Donnie Darko. All remaining film fans will likely remember him as the oldest son of Randy Quaid's quirky character in Independence Day. Here is Naked Angel's premise as listed on the film's IMDB entry:
A man who wants to let go of life [Duval] falls in love with an angel who longs to be human [Watkins] and is inspired to live again.
Here is where I try to score a future hug by saying that the lovely Cameron didn't even have to act in the film because she is already an angel. Ticket information for the sneak preview--with director and cast members in attendance--can be found at Michigan Theatre's website. And now, I invite you to watch the trailer for Naked Angel:



Little Green Men For Sale

Little Green Men

In the realm of comic books and graphic novels, Ann Arbor-based artist Jay Fosgitt has just published his second work, Little Green Men. My pre-ordered copy arrived earlier today at a nearby Borders in Ann Arbor (where I had it sent to score free shipping). So I haven't read Little Green Men yet. Still, I'm betting it totally frickin' debunks astrophysicist Stephen Hawking's claim that humans don't have what it takes to face aliens. Already available is Jay's first graphic novel, Dead Duck. The following is an excerpt from my unabashedly biased rave:

Dead DuckDead Duck by Jay P. Fosgitt
What is Dead Duck? In a nut shell, or egg shell rather, it’s a small water fowl that is…well…not living. Raised and employed by Death itself, Dead Duck collects deceased souls and delivers them to the afterlife. ....

Creator Fosgitt taps into our popular culture with a hilarious offering of subtle references, goofy tributes, and witty satire. It all kept me chuckling to the last page. A major part of the fun is the richly detailed artwork. It spurns decorum, all the while rewarding the reader’s intelligence with something more than mindless bathroom humor. (I’m not saying that bathroom humor is absent, just that it isn’t relied on). Much of the funniest content shows up in the background, so it’s a good idea not to digest Dead Duck too quickly. ...

Disclaimer:
I, Childe Jake, have not received gifts in exchange for the above promotional blogging...which is not to say I wouldn't have accepted gifts, even moderately priced ones, y'know, for my trouble. After all, I sacrificed an evening of Dr. Who reruns to write this blog.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: Just finished reading Little Green Men this morning. Fantastic! I'll be posting a review on Goodreads.com soon.

    ReplyDelete