"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Lightfooted Quest for Cooler Status

So I checked with a friend in California. Unfortunately, having attended the Gordon Lightfoot concert this past Wednesday does not make me cooler. This is a regrettable setback for my lackluster concert-going career.

By way of background, my quest to become cool by attending concerts began in high school. Trusted buddies Mike and Jeremy invited me to join them at a Harry...excuse me, an Harry Connick Jr. concert at Wolf Trap in Virginia. The show was awesome and I thought for sure I was on my way to being cool.

Sadly, I failed to follow up with more trips to Wolf Trap or other prestigious venues. Once in college I fell into a pop-culture dry spell that lasted several years. Though I attended a slew of Utah Symphony concerts--including all three performances of Gershwin's 'Piano Concerto in F' conducted by Maestro Keith Lockhart--my coolness quotient failed to rise substantially.

Seeing that I was struggling to become a hip music aficionado, my grandma asked me to drive her to a Neil Diamond concert. This was it! Finally, in my mid-twenties, I was on my way to coolness. But the magic didn't last. I soon graduated college and made the fateful decision to accept low-paying work in a field that I give a damn about. Money for concert tickets dried up.

Then Lady Luck made an appearance early last week. Michigan Radio--in the tradition of my grandma--provided this Childe another chance to become a hip concertgoer. The station drew my name at random to attend An Evening with Gordon Lightfoot at Ann Arbor's Michigan Theatre. Frankly, I fail to see how this makes me less than awesome. Not only did I win something, I have joined the ranks of devoted Lightfoot fans, their fathers, and their fathers before them. What's not cool about that?

Seriously though, despite a voice that isn't what it used to be, Mr. Lightfoot and his excellent band put smiles on lots of faces by revisiting the oldies and most-definitely goodies from his storied career. And when he sang one of my favorites, 'If You Could Read My Mind,' I thought to myself, "How cool that I get to hear this song live!"

2 comments:

  1. WTF? Attending a Gordon Lightfoot concert doesn't increase coolness? Man, I don't know what to say. I love Gordon Lightfoot! Though I can't talk, because I have not even attempted to increase my coolness by going to a concert. I've never even been to one. Sad days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I suppose we can hope there are multiple roads to coolness. That may be our only hope.

    ReplyDelete