"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Humility: A Poem of the Cosmos



For another cosmic poem, read Pilgrimage Vignette

Credits

This piece was built using Adobe Photoshop CS5. Obviously, it includes the same image as I use for my blog's banner (a shot of me taken by my friend Stef). The background image is of the "Black Eye Galaxy" M64. Image credit goes to NASA and The Hubble Heritage Team (AURA/STScI), with acknowledgments to S. Smartt (Institute of Astronomy) and D. Richstone (U. Michigan).

Yet, I would be remiss if I didn't also credit the makers of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back. They first got me to fall in love with the sight of humbled humans staring off into a nearby galaxy. Lastly, the poem is my creation--inspired largely by reading Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson's excellent book Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem and setting, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PillowNaut and Annie. Thank you for sharing your response to 'Humility'. This is one I've sat on for awhile thinking how and when I wanted to share it with folks, so it is gratifying to see you connect with it.

    ReplyDelete