"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blue Shift and the Penguin Cometh


I created the above starburst in Adobe Photoshop CS5. It is made entirely of fill layers, filters and effects and does not utilize a photograph. Wish I could say I did it all on my own, but I actually relied on an easy to follow video tutorial from PhotoShop Gurus Forum. The tutorial was created by site member Apengo. However, I customized the finished image to include the blue shift. In Einstein-speak, a blue shift indicates the star is moving toward you.


And Here's the Penguin



I built this fella in Adobe Illustrator CS5. I say 'built' because I didn't really draw him. He's more an assembly of shapes and gradient patterns that have been carefully assembled in layers. Kinda makes me feel like Dr. Frankenstein...y'know if Frankenstein created a cartoon penguin.

Anyhoo, I made said penguin by following a tutorial created by designer Chris Spooner over at Blog.SpoonGraphics. Thank you very much Mr. Spooner. I spent about 4 hours on this guy, and about a third of that was spent trying to figure out the mesh gradient on the darn feet. Seriously though, this one was very fun and rewarding. Don't ya just wanna snuggle him?

Now for some seriously fun (and funny) comic creation, go explore the phantasmagorical world of Dead Duck.

7 comments:

  1. Okay, that penquin is very, very cute. But I am most fascinated with the Blue Shift and that it feels like it is moving. It is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe my own mother is dissing a snugly penguin by implying he is less fascinating than blue shift. Just didn't think that would happen. Suffice it to say, it would go along way to smoothing things over if I could see said penguin stuck to the fridge next time I'm in town ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can do that for sure. However, would the blue shift continue to shift it were printed instead of on my computer screen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'most adorable' penguin is printed and I'm going upstairs now to post it on the fridge. Now the ball is in your court. When are you coming to visit???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your Penguin Jake! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You like him?! Everyone else loves him.
    Kidding.
    Thanks, Becky!

    ReplyDelete