"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Two Moments on Chelsea's Cemetery Grounds

These photos were taken in the evening at the entrance to Oak Grove Cemetery in Chelsea, Michigan.

Approaching the Gate



A Creek Runs Near It



Technical Information:

Both of these shots were taken at dusk using a Kodak EasyShare CX7300 (a much-appreciated hand-me-down from my grandfather). I did touch-ups in Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Camera Raw. In particular, I employed Cooling Filter (80), which gives both photos a slight bluish tint.

In "Approaching the Gate" I used the Clone Stamp Tool to remove some backyard toys near a house just out of frame. In "A Creek Runs Near It" I used the Brush Tool to lightly paint in black and white tones. I did this to balance out the tree trunk at right center and the grass at far-left where the creek bends. It remains a very dusky photo, but I like to think the composition evened out.

In both photos I boosted the lighting with Exposure and Brightness/Contrast layers, both generally and for specific elements. I even added a slight bluish outer-glow to the lamps to make them pop (stylistically, not physically...which would be vandalism). Lastly, much love for the ever trusty Spot Healing Brush Tool. Hot red building lights be gone!

2 comments:

  1. for all that work cleaning them up, can you upload larger versions? hard to see any detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erik, sincere thanks both for stopping by and for leaving helpful feedback.

      The Kodak EasyShare is a fun and convenient camera, but not professional quality (especially at dusk). Even the larger-size originals left much to be desired in terms of detail. I ended up trying to embrace that time of night when the sun is just down and all you have is leftover musty blue light. Of course, as you rightly point out, that results in photos that lack detail.

      The other thing I'll say is that presently I tend to play in Photoshop for the sake of playing. There are so many tools and I tend to get carried away with tinkering. At any rate I’ll keep practicing, both with the camera and Photoshop, and I hope you’ll come back and respond again the next time I upload.

      Delete