"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Facebook Approach to Supporting Shakespeare

Recently I made a breakthrough in my advocacy efforts. As Facebook taught me, if you want people to support your cause, use cat pictures. The result was my wonderfully received post: A Facebook Approach to Space Advocacy.

Now a new cause beckons. And I have again secured the assistance of a neighborhood feline I have dubbed Touché. As cats go, Touché is constant as the Northern Star. Not a week goes by without him appearing on my porch, snuggling my shins, and leaving me in sneeze-induced, itchy-eyed tears. I call on all visitors to gaze at the picture below, fall under this kitty's spell, and then do two things:
  1. Find a more appropriate Shakespeare quote than the one I have provided below. Betcha can't! But if you do, add it to this post as a comment.
  2. Support Michigan Shakespeare Festival (please...do it for the cat).
"Then fall, Caesar."
The Tragedy of Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene i

Powerful, isn't it? The only other being I've seen bring such dignity and passion to Caesar's death is veteran actor Paul Hopper during a performance at...guess where!

Seriously though, this is a mission-critical season for Michigan Shakespeare Festival. Even if you aren't able to attend, your support will ensure the Festival can continue producing some of the finest plays ever written.

Please...Help this festival live so that I can watch Richard III die. And if that isn't a good enough reason to make a donation, consider that after attending the performance I will feel inspired and generous...which means Touché the Kitty will receive a treat.

2 comments:

  1. Death, that hath suck'd the honey of thy breath,
    Hath had no power yet upon thy beauty;
    Thou art not conquer'd; beauty's ensign yet
    Is crimson in thy lips, and in thy cheeks,
    And death's pale flag is not advanced there.
    Act V, scene 3, line 92.
    "Romeo and Juliet" (not to be confused with "Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can't go wrong with a dose of R&J.

      Delete