"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Eve of Visit to Glenn Research Center

This time tomorrow I expect to be touring NASA Glenn Research Center. I'll be enjoying a full day of exploring research facilities, networking with fellow space enthusiasts, participating in a multi-center broadcast, and meeting with Mars experts like Geoffrey Landis. What's the special occasion? A preview for the upcoming landing of the much-anticipated Mars Science Laboratory, aka "Curiosity." For more on that, the following JPLNews video is a must see:

"Seven Minutes of Terror"




A First for this Childe

Not only is this my first NASA Social, this is my first visit to a NASA center. I've been prepping all week. Prepping for a NASA visit is fun. You surf the web. You watch YouTube videos and browse NASA's voluminous collection of images. Scoring an invite to this event will afford me and other attendees access to state-of-the-art testing facilities that are understandably closed to the public most days of the year. However, if you ever want to take a visit to a NASA facility, check out your options. Remember, as a citizen it is YOUR space agency.

Curious About 'Curiosity'?

Tomorrow will be a multi-center NASA Social. Even if you are not personally attending, it is easy to connect online throughout the day. Here are three avenues I recommend, with a little self-promotion included of course:

@NASASocial
@MarsCuriosity
@ChildeJake

And don't forget NASA TV, which is also a great way to watch space events like launches as they happen (even when other networks miss the boat).

Jake is Go for Travel to NASA

I am thoroughly psyched for this event. Just gearing up for it has been a great experience. More importantly, I'm reminded that missions like Mars Science Laboratory are feats my generation can hold up with pride. Peaceful exploration and the acquiring of knowledge is a generous gift not only to ourselves, but to our descendants.

It's almost time to head for Cleveland. Expect photos, fun facts, and anecdotes when
I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment