"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Cosmos Highlights: November 2012

A Wondrous Cassini Montage


 
Cassini is now in its golden years. Instruments, after years of exposure to space, are beginning to go offline. Yet the exploration continues, rich in revelation and new mystery. I hope that, if not my generation, a future generation of voters and legislators will summon the will to explore on this operatic a scale.

 

Russet Mountain Majesty on Mars 

 

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech (color-enhanced)

When I attended college in Utah, I was treated to views like the above every time I went outside. However, the above is a picture from Mars. When we first started landing on Mars, we intentionally picked boring and flat ground to increase the likelihood of a successful touchdown. With NASA's nuclear-powered Curiosity rover, we explore dramatic territory. The above photo of Aeolis Mons (aka Mount Sharp) was enhanced by JPL/Caltech to better reveal the rock strata for geologic study.

No comments:

Post a Comment