"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Attending Neil Gaiman's Book Signing Event

Seen full-size on Twitter, I am visible in the below picture, located in the next to last row of orchestra seating about halfway between the right-center and far-right exit signs. Bit of background: Neil's plane was late due to the horrific crash of Asiana Flight 214 in
San Francisco.


Truth be told, I'm not a big Neil Gaiman fan...yet. (Simply haven't tried much of his stuff.) Last night brought me a step closer though. Neil is a great storyteller. Plus, a hardcover copy of his latest novel was included with the price of my ticket. Thank you to Michigan Theater and Nicola's Books in Ann Arbor for spearheading this Michigan signing event.

I thoroughly enjoyed Neil's reading and Q&A session. However, I gave up on the long wait-time for having my book signed. According to Neil, via Twitter, he finished signing autographs at 3AM. Best guess, based on seating layout and line placement, I would have scored my autograph around 1 AM. So a big fat "You're Welcome" to the few hundred people whose wait time shrank by about 15 seconds when I headed home to get a semi-decent night's sleep before work.

Two compliments for Neil (though he saunters about as one who clearly has received a surplus):
  1. In addition to being an excellent writer, Neil is a fantastic reader. Due to my English Major background, I've been to many readings. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun listening to an author read his prose. Excellent timing and expression without overdoing it describes Neil's style.
  2. If Neil should ever return to Michigan for another reading/signing, I would happily
    go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment