"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Out with the Old, In with the Aging

This blog gets less of my time and energy these days. Expect that to continue in 2014. It's a gift for you friends and family who stop by once in awhile. You will be missing less. Still, stop by, please. I like the slow uptick in my analytics.

The reason for this blog's neglect is good. In the last few months I have written a lot. Most of this writing comprises a long term project: a novel. Some of the output heads for contests. In 2014 I plan to continue this habit of focusing on putting my writing in front of professional editors and contest judges.

In the meantime, I hope the winding down of your holidays goes well, Reader. My holidays were choice, thanks mostly to the efforts of friends and family. Thanksgiving, a holiday I remain cynical about as a matter of honor, softened my heart a little. Thanks go to a coworker who invited me to a family gathering. Fellowship resulted. I abstained from patronizing my coffee shop even though it was open. The day was good.

For Christmas I rented a car and travelled to Kentucky to visit my parents and my sister's family. The rental car office gave me a free upgrade to a Chrysler convertible when the intermediate Sedan earmarked for me got stuck in the mud at a nearby shop. I accepted the upgrade because my lunch break was almost over.

Ah, cruising through Ohio late in a December evening with the top...up. Silly, pointless luck getting that free upgrade. Cruising in a convertible in the dead of winter. Wondering what the hell several buttons in the car are for. Dodging potholes and right-wing pundit radio stations. Hoping I don't roll over physically or ideologically as I run the Death Star trench that is freeway construction in Dayton, Ohio. Cursing my dumb luck to get a useless upgrade in winter and...hey, look at that cutie in the next lane also driving a top-up convertible. Hey, fellow convertible driver, care to join me for coffee and waffles in Wapakoneta?

Still, it was fun to gauge the reactions of coworkers and family as I approached with unexpected class! Christmas is a holiday I continue to love with minimal cynicism. I don't know why my fellow humanists are trying to popularize a new atheistic holiday in December when Christmas has proven so pliable already--a spiced mix of Christian and Pagan and Secular. Me and Christmas are getting along just fine.

I feel no special enthusiasm for the New Year. I live in a country that seems increasingly driven by fear, anger, and--as Facebook status updates routinely demonstrate--sloppy writing. Yet, the opportunities for a good year are plentiful. Bonding with two of my wonderful nieces and nephews over eggnog and bootleg Disney clips on YouTube reminded me of the promise of youth. Come on, New Year. Let's dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment