"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Morning Walk for Mimi

How does one live in a small town, often go on walks, and after nine years still discover paths he has not tread? Habits sometimes keep us from discovery I suspect.


This morning I participated in a locally organized Walk to End Alzheimer's. I have lost a grandparent to this disease. I was also looking for a way to enjoy the outdoors on a wonderfully mild weekend. So I followed the 2.8 mile route, which at one point diverted from the usual streets and took me behind the local high school's football and baseball fields. Then, hooking right, I followed a lovely paved walkway adjacent to a local retirement home.

It all appeared new to me, this area of town. Mysterious at times, enticingly so at a couple of points, yet disorienting and taxing to my eyes and feet. When I made it to the finish line, a group of Girl Scout volunteers cheered me as if they knew me. I appreciated this gesture, though I did not recognize any of them. Was this, in a small measure, analogous to living with Alzheimer's?

With love and treasured memories of Mimi and all those who have left us.

No comments:

Post a Comment