"The Childe...More restless than the swallow in the skies..." -Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Images from a Big Two-Hearted Road Trip

I took an overdue road trip for Halloween weekend, with several stops Up North in Michigan. From early Saturday morning until Sunday evening I managed about 1,000 miles. If Monday had stayed away, I would have kept going. 

There is much I am trying to write about this trip. Hopefully some of my journey will end up in stories. I lucked out and scored the following image before crossing back over the Mackinac Bridge on Sunday afternoon. Would you believe I did not even notice the cloud formation until I had already pulled over?


I also finally saw Tahquamenon Falls up close. The Upper Peninsula is incredibly photogenic, even for smart phones negotiating so-so lighting. 


Like most of my road trips in adulthood, I took this one solo. I was not entirely alone though. It has become a personal tradition of mine to borrow the library's copy of Ernest Hemingway's Nick Adams Stories as read by actor Stacy Keach. This is easily my favorite audio book. Listened to while driving the same ground as Hemingway and his protagonist trod makes the experience hypnotic. I highly recommend it!


The below early evening image of the Straits of Mackinac as seen from Mackinaw City may not be the most exciting shot. Nevertheless, it best sums up the mood and rewards of my Big Two-Hearted Road Trip: solitary, drizzly, ponderous, a bit lonely, but blessed with beautiful scenery. I am fortunate to have wound up in this state. Michigan has truly become my Michigan.


2 comments:

  1. Wait, who took that first picture? I think you're hiding something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's to hide? These are all images straight from Jake's phone
      :-) Or do you mean the banner image, which a friend took on my first trip to the U.P. several years ago?

      Delete